News December 8, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 American netizen jailed in latest abuse of Thai lèse-majesté laws ThailandAsia – Pacific to go further Reporters Without Borders is shocked by the two-and-a-half-year sentence imposed on American blogger Joe Gordon by a Bangkok court today for insulting the Thai royal family and deplores the increase in so-called lèse-majesté crimes in Thailand.“Although it means a reduction in his original penalty, we are shocked by this sentence, the latest in a long series of lèse-majesté convictions,” the press freedom organization said.“We are witnessing a game of one-upmanship in the penalties imposed on Thai netizens. Since it took office, the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has shown itself to be worse than its predecessor. In just four months, the number of allegations, prosecutions and convictions on lèse-majesté grounds is higher than for the whole of last year.“The government must put an end to this repressive policy and repeal the lèse-majesté law and the Computer Crime Act, two anti-freedom pieces of legislation.“We call on the authorities to release Joe Gordon and the many other netizens and journalists imprisoned for lèse-majesté and to call a halt to the prosecution of the director of the online newspaper Prachatai, Chiranuch Premchaiporn, better known by the online name Jiew, whose trial is still in progress.”Gordon, a Thai-born American, was arrested and remanded in custody in May this year while he was on holiday in Thailand. He was officially charged on 30 August with lèse-majesté for translating excerpts of the banned biography of King Bhumibol Adulyadej by Paul Handley, “The King Never Smiles”, on his blog.At first he denied all the charges, but subsequently pleaded guilty on 10 October thereby avoiding a five-year prison term. His lawyer, Anon Nampha, said his client would not appeal but hoped for a royal pardon.Thailand’s lèse-majesté law is among the most restrictive legislation in the world as far as freedom of express and freedom of information are concerned. However, Prime Minister Yingluck announced at her swearing-in on 10 August that it should not be used inappropriately.In a contradictory statement on 26 August, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said he was making the crime of lèse-majesté a priority. At the same time, there has been an increase in arrests and convictions. Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar Receive email alerts News Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Thailand ThailandAsia – Pacific News May 12, 2021 Find out more News August 21, 2020 Find out more Organisation RSF_en Ampon Tangnoppakul, known as “Uncle SMS”, received a 20-year prison sentence on 23 November for sending text messages deemed to have insulted the monarchs. His case has now attracted international attention. The United States among others has expressed concern, saying such prosecutions violate the fundamental right to free expression. Chiranuch faces a possible sentence of 20 years in prison under the Computer Crime Act for for failing to delete quickly enough comments posted on her blog last year that were “damaging to the monarchy” (read the press release).Somyot Prueksakasemsuk, former editor of the magazine Voice of Thaksin which was closed last year, has been held on remand for seven months for insulting the monarchy (read the press release).Several netizens are still in prison for lèse-majesté offences. Surapak Phuchaisaeng is still awaiting a verdict in his prosecution for messages he posted on Facebook. Thanthawut Thaweewarodomkul was sentenced on 15 March to 13 years in prison for articles he published on a website linked to the “Red Shirts” anti-government protesters, NorporchorUSA. The student blogger Norawase Yotpiyasathien, arrested on 5 August for his online posts, was freed on bail three days later.Thailand is listed as a “country under surveillance” in the Reporters Without Borders report on “Enemies of the Internet” and is ranked 153rd out of 178 countries in the Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years Covid-19 emergency laws spell disaster for press freedom June 12, 2020 Find out more
Appalachian Bear Rescue has helped hundreds of orphaned cubs return to the wildAn orphaned bear cub from Kentucky—rescued by wildlife officials—recently joined Appalachian Bear Rescue, where she will recover until she’s ready to join the wild again. She is one of over 250 bears that the center has rescued.Dana Dodd, president of the bear rehabilitation center, said each bear gets a visit to the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine before settling into his or her new habitat.The other two cubs in the center’s care include one that’s more than 20 pounds underweight, and another that was hit by a car.Although each cub has a dedicated team of professionals rooting for their recovery, the three orphans will never know the people who help them.“We provide good care with as little human contact as possible so that they don’t get used to humans and can get back to the wild,” she said.The cub that was hit by a car had five broken ribs and a chipped humerus, so it needed to stay still as much as possible, Dodd said. The facility has adjustable ceilings in the cubs’ enclosures specifically to keep bears from climbing. That specific cub has a lowered ceiling so it can’t stand up on its hind legs.If the center receives a cub early in the year, it has to be bottle fed, but at 10 weeks of age, the bear must start lapping from a bowl.“They may not want to [self feed], but they have to,” Dodd said.And when they’re bottle fed, the staff doesn’t cuddle the cubs.Once the bears are healthy enough to live in the center’s bigger, grassy enclosures, their contact with humans is almost non-existent.“They [the staffers] throw food over those enclosures so [the bears] forage on the ground, so they don’t see them feeding,” Dodd said.She said they rely on a 21-camera system to monitor the bears as they go about their daily lives.“Throughout the summer, when it’s really hot, most bears spend all day in the trees,” she said. “In the evening they come down to forage.”There are also pools of water for the bears to play and cool off in and drink from.“We keep things as natural as we can,” Dodd said.Come August, she said the bears leave the trees to start “chubbifying.”“Their bodies know that they have to start eating a lot to get ready for a winter in a den,” she said. “About 85 percent of their diet is vegetation in nature—berries, nuts, acorns, hickory, pecans…the other 15 percent in their diet is meat.”A bear’s meat source tends to be hornet, bee, or ant larvae, which is high in protein, she said.Wildlife officials are trained to care for an entire population of black bears, not just one individual cub. That’s why officials are often skeptical of what Appalachian Bear Rescue does, Dodd said.“It’s unusual to have something like ABR because the animals in our care are being managed as individuals,” she said. “When we release them into the wild, they’re just part of the wild again…they’re not individuals anymore.”But thanks to social media, there’s been a push to save individual cubs in distress—no one wants to see a baby bear put down in a video.“Before Appalachian Bear Rescue existed in Tennessee, about the only thing you could do is to euthanize [sick or hurt bears],” Dodd said. “And now we’ve taken bears from eight different states and the National Park Service for a temporary time.”Coy Blair, the rehab center’s lead curator, did a GPS collar study of 42 former bear residents released between 2015 and 2017, Dodd said.His finding showed that the survival rate one year after release for bears is 88.5 percent, which means bears can thrive in the wild after individual care.“The survival rate is really high,” says Dodd, “which suggests that what we’re doing seems to be working.”
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Thursday’s storm wasn’t a total dud—more than 1 inch of rain drenched several Long Island communities and some 3,000 LIPA customers lost power during the height of the storm Thursday night.“We got quite a bit of rain,” said Tim Morrin, meteorologist at the Upton-based National Weather Service.With Thursday’s rain storm, which dropped nearly 1.5 inches on Montauk and more than an inch in at least five other Suffolk County communities, June 2013 is on its way to becoming the wettest June on record—and there’s still 16 days to go.The current record is 10.8 inches, which was recorded in June 2003, according to the NWS, whose calculations goes back to the 1980s. This month’s total already stands somewhere between 8 and 9 inches. If the trend continues, it’s likely that the decade-old record will fall.More flooding is also possible because there’s “not much capacity for the Earth to absorb much more,” even with moderate rainfall, Morrin said.Thursday’s storm came less than a week after a record-setting storm pounded LI with upwards of 5 inches of rain.But early predictions of up to 4 inches of rain never manifested and the NWS even cancelled a flood watch it had issued a day earlier.The Island will get a brief break from the wet weather this weekend with a sunny forecast for Saturday and decent weather predicted during the day Sunday.But the weather is expected to quickly shift back to what seems to be the norm this June, with showers and possible thunderstorms in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday.As for the outages, the majority of LIPA ratepayers who lost power Thursday regained electricity overnight.
Guggenheim Partner’s Scott Minerd told CNBC that Wednesday’s rally on Wall Street makes sense, despite the uncertain outcome in the presidential race between President Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden.“I was always of the opinion, regardless of the outcome, short of getting anarchy in the street, that this would be good for stocks,” the firm’s global chief investment officer said on “Closing Bell.” “I honestly believe a blue wave would be better, but I think even if Trump were to be president, that people would say, ‘Hey, we’re not getting any big tax increases and we have a green light as long as the economy stays on track.’”- Advertisement – Minerd’s comments came as the major U.S. stock indexes rose while investors digested the uncertain Election Day results. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose by 367 points, or 1.3%, while the benchmark S&P 500 advanced by 2.2%. The tech-heavy Nasdaq outperformed, jumping by nearly 4%.While NBC News has not made a projection about the balance of power in the Senate, some market watchers believe the stock gains were spurred by a belief that Republicans would maintain their majority, thereby standing in the way of a potential Biden administration’s desire to raise corporate and capital gains taxes. Both policy changes are generally considered to be a headwind for equity valuations.Minerd expressed concerns about the rising number of coronavirus cases and the risk to the economy’s recovery. “The rate of new Covid cases has gone exponential,” he said.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – – Advertisement – “I think we are still in for a pretty severe period of infection coming through the fourth quarter and into the first. That obliviously is going to create a lot of noise in the economy, but it is going to put more pressure on stimulus and the Republicans in the Senate to compromise on providing even more stimulus,” Minerd said. Republicans have favored a smaller stimulus deal than Democrats.Earlier Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he hopes to approve another pandemic relief package “before the end of the year.” He added, “I think that’s job one when we get back. Hopefully we get a more cooperative situation than we’ve had” now that Election Day has passed.Minerd said it is important for investors to see beyond the near-term uncertainties as they consider how to position their portfolios. “At the end of the day, if you can clear smoke in the next months and look through what’s going on in the next six months, as an investor, I think you have to be fairly positive for all risk assets, whether it’s … high-yield bonds, corporate bonds and also for stocks,” he said.
New Delhi: The Indian cricket team were on top in the ICC Cricket World Cup clash against Australia at The Oval. Shikhar Dhawan blasted his 17th century and Virat Kohli slammed his 50th fifty as India notched up 352/5, the highest score ever made in World Cups against Australia. This was only the second time in World Cup history that Australia had conceded a total in excess of 300-plus, the first being 312 against Sri Lanka in Sydney during the 2015 World Cup encounter in Sydney. For Australia, it was a tough day as all the bowlers went for runs.However, during the Australian innings, there was a hint of controversy involving Adam Zampa. Social media users uploaded visuals of Zampa putting a hand in his pocket and immediately taking it out to rub the ball aggressively. This raised suspicions that Australia was probably using sandpaper again to alter the condition of the ball. Both Smith and Warner received one-year bans from Cricket Australia following the sandpapergate incident during the Cape Town Test against South Africa. In the Test, Cameron Bancroft was spotted using yellow sandpaper to tamper with the ball. In the subsequent outrage, it was revealed that Smith and Warner were part of the plan. While Smith and Warner were banned for one year, Bancroft was banned for nine months.The trio accepted the charges and faced suspensions as Australian cricket went through a dark phase. The players on the field were distraught and suffered defeats in almost every series they played post the infamous scandal. However, the Aussies bounced back in the limited-overs series against India in March 2019 as they defeated the Men in Blue 3-2 in the five-match ODI series before clean-sweeping Pakistan 5-0. Steve Smith and David Warner were banned for one year.The sandpaper gate fiasco took place in Newlands during the South Africa Test.Australia have won 10 consecutive ODIs ever since the India series. What the hell is this ??Adam zampa with sandpaper 2.0 ? #INDvAUS pic.twitter.com/WTAdY4VV1R— ॐ Shivam (@samwalker_0207) June 9, 2019Steve Smith and David Warner after serving their one-year bans due to the ball-tampering scandal during the Newlands Test against South Africa in March 2018. While Warner was the leading run-getter in the IPL with 692 runs, Smith was the star in the three warm-up games against New Zealand. Australia is expected to get a hostile reception in England with Smith and Warner being the prime targets. highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
EUROPAFormer Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has celebrated Julen Lopetegui’s redemption at Sevilla after they defeated Manchester United in Sunday’s UEFA Europa League semi-final outing.Sevilla came from behind at the RheinEnergieStadion to edge the Premier League side 2-1 and book a place in Friday’s final scheduled to take place in Cologne. Bruno Fernandes opened the scoring for Manchester United from the penalty spot in the ninth minute, but goals from Suso and Luuk De Jong in the 26th and 78th minutes, respectively, steered Los Palanganas to victory.The triumph made Oliseh, who managed the Super Eagles for eight months before resigning in February 2016, particularly excited for Lopetegui after his previous experiences in the dugout.He described Sevilla’s progress to the final as joy for Lopetegui after “suffering non-stop humiliations” in the last few years.“Since pre-World Cup 2018 scandalous sacking, Julen Lopetegui’s been to hell and back, suffered non-stop humiliations,” Oliseh tweeted.“Sad for Man Utd fans, but extremely pleased for Lopetegui. Imagine the joy and relief his loved ones feel tonight. Wish him well in the final. It pays to keep believing.”The former Real Madrid manager was sacked on two occasions within five months in 2018.He was first relieved of his duties at the Spain national team with just two days before the country’s 2018 World Cup opener against Portugal in Russia.Lopetegui was dismissed from the national team camp after accepting an offer to take over at the Santiago Bernabeu immediately after the World Cup.His reign in Real Madrid was short-lived as he was sacked after four-and-a-half months in charge.After a string of poor results in all competitions which was capped by Real Madrid’s 5-1 loss to Barcelona in October 2018, the 53-year-old was shown the exit door in the Spanish capital.In June 2019, Lopetegui was appointed as Sevilla manager and he helped the club finish fourth in the Spanish top-flight table this season.On Friday, Sevilla will face the winner of Monday’s semi-final clash between Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk as the chase their sixth Europa League crown.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Share Related Articles StumbleUpon ESI Digital – No Drama Please… Esports growth should be treated as business as usual August 20, 2020 Snooker’s UK Championship is to remain part of the Betway portfolio of sponsorship’s, after the global online gaming company agreed a fresh three-year deal.Forming part of the sports Triple Crown, alongside the Masters and World Championship, this latest partnerships continues the initial two year £850,000 deal agreed two years ago.Barry Hearn, World Snooker Chairman, said: “We are delighted to welcome Betway on board for at least another three years, especially as they are such a fantastic team to work with.“This year we celebrate 40 years of the UK Championship and remember the iconic moments that this marvellous tournament has produced. Last year we saw an incredible final between Mark Selby and Ronnie O’Sullivan which proved the remarkable skill of the players at the top level.“Now the players are writing a new chapter in the history of this event, and the eyes of the world are watching with a global television audience of over 400 million fans. The exposure for Betway’s brand both in the UK and overseas is exceptional. We look forward to working with them for many years to come.”The prestigious tournament, Snooker’s second largest ranking event, will now be apart of the Betway stable until 2020.Betway CEO Anthony Werkman, added: “The Betway UK Championship is a fantastic event to be involved with and we’re really happy to be extending our partnership for a further three years.“Continuing our sponsorship in snooker, and particularly with a top level event like the Betway UK Championship, is really important as we look to build on the strong growth we have achieved in recent years.”Betway has a number of sports sponsorship’s including being principal sponsor of Premier League side West Ham United, in addition to official betting partner of the Grand National Festival held at Aintree Racecourse. Share Submit Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season August 21, 2020