News Follow the news on Dominican Republic Dominican RepublicAmericas Dominican RepublicAmericas Help by sharing this information News News January 24, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist threatened by drug traffickers with being “burned alive” September 22, 2014 Find out more Organisation to go further Journalists wounded while covering street clashes in Santo Domingo February 15, 2017 Find out more June 25, 2015 Find out more Receive email alerts Hostile climate for Dominican media since start of 2015 RSF_en The anonymous death threats that have been made against Manuel Vega, a journalist and TV producer who has often denounced drug trafficking in the eastern province of Hato Mayor, should be taken seriously by the Dominican authorities, Reporters Without Borders said today, calling for Vega to be given protection that is appropriate to the serious risks he is running“It is incomprehensible that the government and its relevant departments have not already come to Vega’s aid,” the press freedom organisation said. “Is he being made to pay for alleging that certain officials in Hato Mayor are colluding with drug traffickers? Everyone knows that a journalist who tackles drug trafficking is taking a big risk. Vega’s allegations call for significant measures against organised crime. The threats that have been made against him mean he should get substantial protection.”The producer of “Atacando,” a programme broadcast by the privately-owned TV station Canal 10-Varo Visión and radio 95.5 FM in Hato Mayor province, Vega has dedicated several of his recent editions to drug trafficking in the region. He reported yesterday that he had been repeatedly threatened in the past week. An anonymous caller told he was “causing problems” and would be “burned alive” it he continued to cover this subject.Vega said he thought the threats were coming from a Dominican who recently returned home after serving a sentence for drug trafficking in the United States. He accused the authorities of “indifference” and said he did not trust the regional police, which was “contaminated” by drug trafficking, he claimed.Vega has received the support of the National Union of Press Workers (SNTP), one of the country’s leading media unions, which has called on the government to conduct a “thorough investigation” into the case. Currently being protected by relatives and friends, Vega has said he will continue to work despite the threats. News Dominican Republic: News presenter and producer gunned down in mid-broadcast
Facebook Advertisement Previous articleInformation evening for Limerick city retailers and businessesNext articleLimerick chase All Ireland glory Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp Foroige volunteers bag-pack to raise fundsVolunteers from across Limerick are coming out in force this week to raise funds for their local Foróige clubs and projects.The hard working volunteers are hosting a national bag pack for charity to raise the much needed funds.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Foróige volunteers will be on hand helping shoppers pack their groceries in Tesco stores across Limerick City and county on 13th and 14th of September.Seán Campbell, Foróige CEO said: “This weekend, we see volunteerism at its very best. We have people across the length and breadth of the country volunteering in their local Tesco stores to raise funds for their Foróige clubs and projects – all money raised during the bag pack will be invested back into the local community.“In recent years, Foróige has seen a cut of 30% to our funding while the demand for our services has increased by almost a quarter. We need the local community to continue to demonstrate their support and continued belief in their local young people,” said Mr Campbell.Foróige is the leading and largest youth organisation in Ireland. The charity works with 56,000 young people and 5,500 volunteers each year, through a network of more than 600 youth clubs & cafés, 150 targeted projects and national programmes.Mr Campbell paid tribute to the thousands of volunteers who are a vital part of the Foróige team that delivers youth services around the country.“The volunteers you will see packing bags at your local Tesco store this weekend are just a handful of the almost 5,500 amazing people who give their time, talents and dedication to volunteering with Foróige to help improve the lives of young people. They are building a better Ireland, one community at a time and we would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you,” he said.The national bag pack takes place as hundreds of Foróige clubs and projects around the country resume activities after a short summer break.The organisation supports young people aged between 10 and 18 to make friends and have fun in a safe environment. Independent studies show that being involved with Foróige improves young peoples’ confidence, self-belief and resilience.The young people involved learn how to relate well with adults and contribute to the community as they develop their own positive values, views and beliefs.Founded in 1952, Foróige offers a wide range of youth work services. The charity is engaged in three major flagship programmes – Citizenship, Entrepreneurship and Leadership. Foróige also operates Garda Youth Diversion Programmes and Drug Education & Prevention Projects.There are also programmes associated with teen sexual health and well-being, teen parenting support and early school leavers.The participating Tesco Stores are Arthur’s Quay, Dooradoyle and Roxboro in the city and Coonagh, Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale in the county. Twitter Email Linkedin Print NewsLimerick volunteers help raise vital funds for youth organisation ForóigeBy Staff Reporter – September 11, 2013 730
Twitter Pinterest Facebook Pinterest Previous articleHealth Minister urges people to keep their distanceNext article22 new positive cases of Covid-19 in Northern Ireland News Highland Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Deputy Doherty announces proposals for Income Support Scheme AudioHomepage BannerNews WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows By News Highland – March 21, 2020 Facebook Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ Twitter Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Sinn Féin spokesperson on Finance Pearse Doherty has announced proposals for an Income Support Scheme to bailout workers and families.Sinn Féin is proposing the immediate introduction of the scheme to pay all workers who are laid off as a result of the Covid-19 crisis their income up to €525 per week for 20 weeks.The scheme will be applied retrospectively from 9th March.This would mean that every worker who earns up to €32,500 a year would receive their full wage.Deputy Pearse Doherty says extraordinary measures are needed for extraordinary times.Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/PearseISS.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Community Enhancement Programme open for applications
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Police in New York City are searching for a subway commuter who did anything but “Make America Great Again.”New York ABC station WABC reports the New York City Police Department is looking for a man who attacked a fellow subway rider on Friday. The suspect was wearing a red “Make America Great Again” cap, sold by Donald Trump during his presidential campaign, and a red “Make America Great Again” T-shirt at the time of the attack, police said. According to police, the Trump supporter got into a verbal argument with the fellow rider before punching him in the head on a 4 train as it approached the Union Square station in Manhattan. He then followed the victim, described by police as a 24-year-old Hispanic man, off the train and shoved him onto the tracks.The attacker allegedly made a number of racially derogatory statements during the assault.The victim suffered cuts on his head, and was treated at an area hospital, police said.The alleged assault comes just eight days after a Danish tourist wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat was attacked and robbed of the hat at the same Union Square subway station. In that case, the attacker actually flashed a knife at the victim, according to police. The attacker in last week’s case does not meet the same description as Friday’s suspect.Anyone with information about either incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Previous articleSt. Mary’s planning traditional pre-pandemic commencement for late MayNext articleCalifornia man arrested after police uncover 1,200 pounds of pot during traffic stop Tommie Lee Twitter By Tommie Lee – March 17, 2021 0 288 Facebook Google+ Facebook Pinterest WhatsApp Pinterest WhatsApp BBB: The Grandparent Scam is back again this spring Twitter (Photo supplied/Indiana News Service) It happens every year.Older Hoosiers find themselves targeted by scammers, who call or send an email claiming that a grandchild off on spring break has been injured, or is in jail on a DUI, or something else that requires them to get money fast.A Ft. Wayne woman has reported the scam to the Better Business Bureau of Northern Indiana, and Marjorie Stephens of the BBB says the woman was close to handing over thousands of dollars before her internal sirens went off.Hear Marjorie tell the story by clicking here, and learn how to protect yourself. Google+ IndianaLocalNationalNewsSouth Bend Market