Tag: 上海419论坛香草社区

Stuart Broad plays down Ashes ‘war’, says its just a game

first_imgEngland paceman Stuart Broad is refusing to rise to Australia opener David Warner’s declaration of “war” as Joe Root’s men prepare to fly out to defend the Ashes.The pugnacious Warner said earlier this month he would “dig deep to get some hatred” for the England team ahead of the series, adding: “As soon as you step on that line it’s war.”Like Warner, Broad is familiar with the hostilities of the old rivalry but as England prepare to head Down Under, he is keeping calm.”I don’t have to hate them,” he told the Daily Telegraph. “It’s a game of cricket, not war.”The Australian public, urged on by coach Darren Lehmann, heckled Broad throughout the 2013-14 series over his failure to walk for a clear nick in the previous series in England — during which Warner was the designated villain after throwing a pre-series punch at Root.”Actually I loved that trip, I liked the pantomime villain stuff,” said Broad.”As a cricketer it was as close as you get to being a footballer playing away from home. (Lehmann) needed something to unite the public and media behind the Australian side and he chose me.”It was football that provided Broad’s inspiration on that tour as he drew on another fierce rivalry — former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira’s animosity with Manchester United counterpart Roy Keane and manager Alex Ferguson.”Because I knew it was coming, I prepared for it,” said Broad. “I read Alex Ferguson’s book about how he’d once told Patrick Vieira, who’d had dog’s abuse from the Old Trafford crowd, ‘they wouldn’t be abusing you if they didn’t respect you’.advertisement”Whether Aussies meant it that way, that’s how I decided to take it. They were only doing it because they were scared of me.”Australia captain Steve Smith has targeted England’s inexperienced batting line-up this time around, with Mark Stoneman, James Vince and Dawid Malan in line to feature in the top five while doubt surrounds the participation of all-rounder Ben Stokes for disciplinary reasons.But Broad said: “When you go to Australia you have to have a genuine belief in your team that you can win. And I have that. I believe we can win.”The (Andrew) Strauss-led side that got to number one in 2011 was the most efficient, disciplined group I’ve ever played with, but this team now is the most exciting.”Moeen (Ali), Jonny (Bairstow), Stokesie: you don’t know what will happen. But something will. True, we’re not as consistent. But we can win games out of nowhere.”last_img read more

DIRECTOR GUILLERMO DEL TORO CALLS OUT AIR CANADA OVER BAGGAGE MIXUP

first_img LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement PARIS — Director Guillermo del Toro has called out a Canadian airline in a multi-tweet diatribe about his travel woes, which he insists was not fuelled by anger, but rather concern for any passenger attempting to navigate the “Sphinx-like” complexities of baggage retrieval.The Oscar winner recounted his quest to track down a missing bag in a series of tweets mentioning Air Canada on Thursday, saying the saga began when he arrived in Paris two days ago to be welcomed by “1 lost bag. 1 broken handle.”Of possible interest to @AirCanada : Arrived to Paris 2 days ago. 1 lost bag. 1 broken handle. Waited and hour, then filed the report. 24 hours later no one had contacted me. Many calls, email and messages later (no response at all) I spent hours tracking my bag–— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) June 28, 2018 Mexican film director Guillermo del Toro called out Air Canada in a multi-tweet diatribe about his travel woes involving his luggage. – Refugio Ruiz / AP Photo Twitter Advertisementcenter_img Facebook Login/Register With: Advertisement He tweeted that a series of inquiries to Air Canada over the next 24 hours went unanswered, later realizing that his report had been filed under the wrong email address.After enlisting the help of friends in Toronto to call the airline, del Toro says he was assured that the bag would arrive, and it did — but his troubles wouldn’t end there.I offered to go to terminal 2 and pick it up myself. No contact for the delivery company wass offered (except a wrong number) the company is called J.A.P. Transports https://t.co/AfseJgzpC1 and the only review you can find on them are 1 star reviews. I must agree…— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) June 28, 2018Del Toro claims Air Canada then handed over the bag to a French delivery service, which after further communication issues, told him to his parcel would be dropped off within a three-hour window.On the penultimate day of his stay, he waited patiently for the delivery, first by the door, then on the street where he chatted with passersby. Several selfies later, he says, still no bag.I contacted them by finding a phone in a complaint in Google. I called. They said it would arrive between 5-8 PM. On my penultimate dsay here I waited patiently, first by the door, then standing on the street for an hour (nice conversation and selfies ensued) but alas, no call…— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) June 28, 2018Despite offering to meet his luggage at the airport terminal, del Toro says he has yet to be reunited with his belongings.It’s not about the bag — although it contains a four-volume set of short stories by Russian writer Anton Chekhov — or demanding preferential service, he insists.last_img read more

British Museum asks Athens for sculpture loan

first_img Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram Following the British Museum’s loan last month of one of the Parthenon Marbles to the Hermitage Museum in Russia, the UK institution has made a request to borrow a precious Hellenic antiquity from Athens’ Museum of Cycladic Art.Given the furore over the British Museum’s recent actions, the Museum of Cycladic Art is reported to be reluctant to loan the artefact for an exhibition opening in London in March entitled ‘Defining Beauty: the Body in Ancient Greek Art’. A spokesperson for the British Museum told The Art Newspaper that the museum had made the request to borrow a piece, but that the Greek museum “had yet to respond one way or the other”.The British Museum’s loan to Russia of the Ilissos sculpture is the first time one of the Parthenon Marbles has left the United Kingdom since entering the British Museum collection in 1816.Despite a previously cordial curatorial relationship between the privately-owned Museum of Cycladic Art and the British Museum, the denial of a loan from Athens will be seen as a gesture to get back at the institution.The Museum of Cycladic Art is dedicated to the study and promotion of ancient cultures of the Aegean and Cyprus, with special emphasis on Cycladic art of the third millennium BC. It was founded in 1986 to house the collection of Nicholas and Dolly Goulandris. Meanwhile, the British Museum is reportedly considering three more overseas loans of the Parthenon Marbles. New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, Berlin’s Pergamon Museum and the Louvre in Paris are likely contenders to make requests to exhibit parts of the marbles.The British Museum has confirmed that further loans of the marbles are being considered. A spokesman told reporters: “Museums around the world have shown interest in requesting to loan from our set of Parthenon Sculptures, and we always welcome these conversations.” “The trustees will consider any request for any part of the collection to be borrowed and then returned, subject to the usual considerations of condition and fitness to travel and this has always been made clear to the world.”Speaking to Neos Kosmos this week, the founder of the Australia-based international committee for the restitution of the marbles, Mr Emmanuel Cominos, said that museums in Greece should be united in their stance on loans to the British Museum.“All the museums in Greece should stick together with the Greek government’s request for the Parthenon Marbles to go back to where they belong.“I hope the owners of the Cycladic Museum will say ‘we’ll gladly lend you something, provided that you, the British Museum, makes an unconditional commitment to return the Marbles’.”last_img read more