About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Leicester boss Puel insists Chelsea upset can happenby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLeicester City boss Claude Puel insists they’re capable of upsetting Chelsea this weekend.Puel took heart from their performance in defeat to Manchester City this week in the Carabao Cup quarterfinals.He said, “It will be a good challenge. We need to give our best to get a result. We need to have a collective response.”If we have the same mentality as against Man City, we can hopefully get a result.”Puel also gave a brief injury update and admitted they are still waiting to find out if England defender Ben Chilwell will be fit to face Chelsea.”I think he can participate [in the Chelsea game]. We will see tomorrow.”We have doubts about Wilfred [Ndidi], we will see tomorrow [for Chelsea]. It’s about his knee.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Hendrick admits no Europa League has helped Burnleyby Freddie Taylor11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley midfielder Jeff Hendrick has admitted that not needing to play in the Europa League is helping his side.The Clarets struggled last season as they had to cope with additional European games.It caused them to have a very poor start to the season, which lead to a relegation battle for much of the campaign.But they have started brighter this term, and Hendrick thinks he knows why.”We’ve progressed but I think last year was a bit different,” the midfielder told reporters.”I know it was frustrating for us as players and maybe the fans, staff and everyone.”At the start of the season, with the games we had, it was difficult, it was tiring.”I was talking to my friend at Wolves when we played them and I said, ‘How are you getting on with the European football?’ and he just said he’s constantly tired.”Without even knowing, the travelling does take it out of you and that’s what happened with us last year.”Even when we were out of that, we tried to pick the performances up, but it didn’t work.”Eventually we sat down, we all got on the same track and the performances started to pick up and we got some points on the board, which we did need at the back end of last year.”
MONTREAL – More than 1,300 jobs are at risk due to Ottawa’s refusal to give the Davie shipyard near Quebec City a contract for a second supply ship, a coalition trying to save the facility said Thursday.Members of the group travelled to Montreal to try to pressure Quebec-based MPs to recognize the plight of the province’s shipyard workers.Some 800 workers are expected to lose their jobs by the end of the year, while another 350 people who work at the shipyard’s suppliers in the Quebec City area are also believed to be at risk of being unemployed.On Thursday, the coalition presented the findings of a survey it conducted among 205 of the 219 Montreal-area suppliers to the Davie shipyard.More than half of them said the federal government’s decision would negatively affect their businesses and threaten 160 jobs.Davie recently completed the Asterix, a former container ship converted into a supply ship.The shipyard’s workers were expecting an order for a second ship but were told by the Canadian Forces it would not be needed.The president of a subsidiary of the Davie shipyard owner that acts as an intermediary for federal contracts said both the Senate and the House of Commons have recognized the urgency to equip the Navy with a ship similar to the one Davie recently completed.“We are not trying to pull work from other shipyards in Canada,” Spencer Fraser, head of Federal Fleet Services, told reporters. “There is enough work for all three yards.”The other facilities are in Vancouver and Halifax.Ottawa plans on acquiring its second supply ship in 2021 from Vancouver, which has a $4.1-billion contract for two vessels.Fraser said that timeline is not realistic.Vancouver’s Seaspan shipyard can build only one ship at a time, Fraser said, and the yard first has to deliver four ships for the Canadian Coast Guard, an order that will be completed in 2023.Fraser said Vancouver’s supply ship can only be completed by 2026.He called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government to release a more realistic timeline.Davie spokesman Frederick Boisvert has said laid-off workers could be quickly recalled once the Trudeau government decides to send a “clear signal” or letter of intent for the second ship.Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau said in early December he recognized the expertise of Davie workers but the federal government simply didn’t need another supply ship.“We cannot artificially create a need for something that doesn’t exist,” he told reporters in Montreal.He said the federal government was analyzing the future shipbuilding needs of the Navy, coast guard and ferry services, which may provide opportunities for Davie in the future.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — A popular Colorado Springs tourist attraction that takes riders up to the summit of Pikes Peak will reopen again after its fate was in question.The Gazette reports the Pikes Peak Cog Railway is slated to reopen in May 2021 following a nearly $100 million reconstruction next year.Broadmoor hotel President and CEO Jack Damioli said in March that the railway would not open this year and could remain closed permanently, noting it had “run its useful life.”Oklahoma Publishing President and CEO Gary Pierson says the railway reconstruction will include the demolition and rebuilding of the track and a remodeling of the depot in Manitou Springs.The railway plans to decommission four of eight train cars and refurbish the other four.Oklahoma Publishing is the railway’s parent company.___Information from: The Gazette, http://www.gazette.comThe Associated Press
New Delhi: The Income Tax department has attached a house of hardline Kashmiri separatist Syed Ali Shah Geelani located in Delhi in connection with an over Rs 3.62 crore tax evasion case against him.The flat is located in south Delhi’s Khirki Extension locality in Malviya Nagar. A Tax Recovery Officer (TRO) of the department sealed the house as Geelani allegedly failed to pay Rs 3,62,62,160 income tax for assessment years 1996-97 to 2001-02, said an order accessed by PTI. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The department has undertaken the action under section 222 of the I-T Act (assessee deemed in default of tax payment) and “prohibited and restrained” the Hurriyat Conference leader from transferring the asset. An order was issued on March 29 by the department. TRO is the enforcement action taking arm of the tax department and deals with cases of wilful defaulters. The authority is empowered to attach an asset and subsequently auction it to realise the tax dues. The Enforcement Directorate (ED), last month, levied a penalty of Rs 14.40 lakh on Geelani in a 17-year-old case of illegal possession of USD 10,000 in alleged contravention of foreign exchange law. The foreign currency, equivalent to about Rs 6.90 lakh, had also been confiscated by the ED as part of an order issued under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) on March 20. This currency was seized during an Income Tax raid at Geelani’s residence in Srinagar’s Hyderpora area in 2002.
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram Wednesday took a swipe at the Modi government, charging that in this regime conviction comes first and investigation later and a person is guilty until proven innocent. He said the law secretary should “teach” the Prime Minister some basic lessons in law as the Supreme Court has said that bail is the rule and jail the exception. Chidambaram’s jibe at the prime minister came in the wake of Modi’s attack on the opposition leader. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details At a recent rally in Tamil Nadu, the prime minister had taken a dig at the former finance minister. Modi had said he was “shocked to read the recounting minister headed their manifesto committee. I was not surprised. After all, getting bail is important for his own existence,” apparently referring to cases against Chidambaram and his son Karti. Charges are flying fast and thick in the midst of election campaign for Lok Sabha elections that begin on April 11. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from Thursday Chidambaram is facing corruption charges in the INX media case and has been granted bail by the court. “In Modi raj, conviction comes first and investigation takes place later! In Modi raj, a person is guilty until proved innocent!If PM has any doubt, he should consult his friend Mr Arun Jaitley,” the Congress leader charged. “The Law Secretary should teach the PM some basic lessons on law. The Supreme Court has said that ‘bail is the rule and jail is the exception,” he said on Twitter.
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) during a game against the Seattle Seahawks on Oct. 11 at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio. Credit: Courtesy of TNSThe Cincinnati Bengals started the 2015 season 8-0 for the first time in franchise history and have one of the most potent offenses in the NFL. So a matchup with the lowly Houston Texans, who sat at 3-5, should have been no problem, right?Wrong. The Texans continued their domination of the Bengals with a 10-6 win in a defensive struggle in Paul Brown Stadium in front of a roaring jungle of 61,381 Bengals fans on Monday night.The most discouraging part is the Texans did it with their backup quarterback after starter Brian Hoyer was knocked out of the game due to a concussion. Given, T.J. Yates didn’t do much, but his 22-yard rainbow to DeAndre Hopkins pushed the Texans past the Bengals and into the driver’s seat in the lackluster AFC South.Sure it’s just one loss, and sure the Bengals are still 8-1 — sitting pretty in the AFC North with a three-game lead over Pittsburgh — but quarterback Andy Dalton showed a side Bengals fans are all too familiar with. One that should make Bengals fans uneasy every time they think about yelling out, “who dey.”The Red Rifle turned into the “Red Rider B.B. Gun,” as Texans defensive end J.J. Watt called Dalton after the game, and his inability to win in primetime games was on full display again as he pushed his overall primetime record to 4-8.Dalton finished Monday night’s blunder of a game 22-of-38 for 197 yards and an interception for easily his worst performance of the year.The biggest problem is the Bengals looked tentative to take shots deep down the field against the Texans — something they’ve excelled at so far this season. Dalton ranks third in the NFL for average yards per pass, according to NFL statistics, but couldn’t connect on passes downfield on Monday.Perhaps Watt breathing down Dalton’s neck all night had something to do with it. Watt’s pressure against backup right tackle Eric Winston clearly impacted the Bengals’ ability to convert on third-downs, finishing the game at an abysmal 23 percent (3-of-13) conversion rate.Ultimately, the fifth-year quarterback will take the brunt of the blame for the loss to the Texans, but realistically, Dalton isn’t the only one to blame. Tight end Tyler Eifert dropped several passes that he normally catches and receiver A.J. Green fumbled away the Bengals’ final hopes in the last minute. Pair that with the Bengals’ inability to run the football — 21 carries for 73 yards on Monday (3.5 average) — and you’ve got a recipe for disaster.The lackluster performance comes at the worst possible time for the Bengals, as the team’s next contest is on the road against the red-hot Arizona Cardinals in another primetime matchup on Sunday night.The question is, can the Bengals match up under the lights and show the NFL what they are truly made of? Or will they fry in the desert next week against the team’s former quarterback and possible league MVP Carson Palmer? Also, looking even further, the Bengals still have key division tilts against the Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens, as well as a Week 16 matchup with the Broncos in Mile High Stadium.Despite the 8-0 start, the Bengals could very well lose half of their second-half games. Sure, some might say I’m overreacting, crossing the Bengals off my list of Super Bowl contenders after Week 10. But my instincts and my gut tells me to not trust this bunch until they prove they can consistently win in primetime games, let alone in the playoffs.
Luciano Spalletti believes Inter Milan’s comeback win against Tottenham Hotspur will be an added boost to his squad.Speaking ahead of their clash with Sampdoria, the Italian manager is optimistic will return to winning ways owing to the confidence in his side.“Winning games like the one on Tuesday gives us confidence and confirms the means are there for us to do well,” he said at a Press conference.“I think it gave us a bonus to multiply tomorrow. We showed character against Tottenham, but I’d like to emphasise that we also played with intelligence, pressing high up the pitch but without ever losing balance.Capello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“We showed character, but it shouldn’t remain an isolated case. Mauro gives everything on the field.“It’s clear he must make runs that benefit the team, while the team must take his quality into account, managing to put him in a position so he can express himself better.“Just a few seconds of great talent are enough for a top player to score a goal, but in order to play like champions, 95 minutes of character are needed.“I rate Giampaolo’s work highly. He’s a modern Coach, and he took too long to come to the fore, but he’s showing all his quality.“He has a top squad, his team build from the back and play in accordance with their opponents, without forgetting Sabatini: I’d like to say ‘hello’ to him, but I know he has to complete his treatment first.”
Serbian striker Luka Jovic wants to stay at Eintracht Frankfurt, despite rumoured interest from Barcelona and Bayern MunichThe Benfica loanee is tied with Borussia Dortmund’s Paco Alcacer as the Bundesliga’s leading scorer on 10 goals this season.Frankfurt sporting director Bruno Hubner has already made it clear he intends to sign Jovic permanently this summer for a rumoured fee in the region of €10-12m.But reports in the German media have suggested that Barcelona and Bayern are interested in making their own moves for the highly-rated Jovic.Mourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.Although the 20-year-old insists his sole focus lies with Frankfurt.“We, the players, shouldn’t think about that. The management at the club will decide that. As for me, I’d like to stay with Eintracht,” Jovic told Bild.“It’s nice that such big clubs are thinking about someone like me. But I keep both feet on the ground and only think about the next game.”Frankfurt, who are fifth in the Bundesliga table, will host Bayer Leverkusen in a league match on Sunday at 18:00 (CET).
Paying a unique tribute to the tigers who have played the vital role of the ‘brand ambassadors’ of Indian wildlife, a book namely ‘A Decade with Tigers: Supremacy. Solitude. Stripes’, will be launched in the Capital on October 27.Tigers are symbols of the Indian wilderness and the mesmerizing stripes have long captured imagination of the people. ‘A Decade with Tigers’, written by Shivang Mehta, delves into the changing landscape of tiger photography in India, and contains expert opinions by leading nature photographers on the need for creativity and innovation in the photography. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfThe book is a photographer’s take on the dramatic rise in the popularity of tigers in the past decade and portrays the national animal in the most magnificent way. Owing to the increasing number of photographers taking interest in documenting the various moods and behaviours of the animal in forests across the country, the tigers have been anthropomorphised, with some of them becoming the ‘tiger icons’ of India.The volume chronicles legendary tiger mothers and male tigers of the past decade, as well as their tales of survival. These tales are complemented by exquisite images by wildlife photographer Shivang Mehta, who has spent thousands of hours on the field. Also showcased is the singular diversity of Indian wildlife through spectacular images of the myriad species that share their home with tigers. The animal is photographed in terrains, ranging from montane forests to the plains of Central India. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveA journalist turned PR professional, with experience in corporate communications, Shivang Mehta’s love of nature eventually made him leave the cosy comforts of the corporate office for the field. He is now an avid traveller and nature photographer. It is his love for the forests of Kumaon, that impels him to choose Corbett as his main area of work. Over the years, Shivang has conducted more than 200 field wildlife photography workshops and is currently an official trainer for Canon India, conducting such workshops in association with Canon across India, Sri Lanka, and Africa. Among the well known names, Valmik Thapar, Naturalist, Conservationist and Author, Ravi Singh, Secretary General and CEO WWF India, Rajesh Bedi, Wildlife photographer and Conservationist, and Mike Pandey, award winning Wildlife Filmmaker and Environmentalist, will be marking their presence at the event.