zoomImage Courtesy: Long Beach Container Terminal South Korean shipping company Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM) is not interested in the purchase of the California-based Long Beach Container Terminal (LBCT), the company confirmed to World Maritime News.China’s COSCO Shipping Holdings is selling the terminal as part of the company’s USD 6.3 billion acquisition of Orient Overseas International Limited (OOIL). The disposal of the terminal is needed for COSCO in order to obtain the green light from the US regulators to complete the OOIL takeover.OOCL, a shipping unit of OOIL, holds a 40-year concession to operate the facility at the Port of Long Beach, which is the second busiest container port in the United States.As the LBCT sale is attracting interests from potential bidders, rumors emerged that HMM and Seaspan are in talks to jointly bid for the facility. However, HMM has now denied these rumors.“Please be advised that is the rumor which is not based on facts,” a spokesperson for HMM said.“HMM is not reviewing the matter and has nothing to do with LBCT’s acquisition,” the spokesperson added.The Port of Long Beach surpassed 8 million TEUs for the first time in its 108-history. The port handled 8.1 million TEUs last year, an increase of 7.2 percent. Imports grew 6.1 percent to 4.1 million TEUs, while exports totaled 1.5 million TEUs, up by 3.6 percent.World Maritime News Staff
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement PARIS — Director Guillermo del Toro has called out a Canadian airline in a multi-tweet diatribe about his travel woes, which he insists was not fuelled by anger, but rather concern for any passenger attempting to navigate the “Sphinx-like” complexities of baggage retrieval.The Oscar winner recounted his quest to track down a missing bag in a series of tweets mentioning Air Canada on Thursday, saying the saga began when he arrived in Paris two days ago to be welcomed by “1 lost bag. 1 broken handle.”Of possible interest to @AirCanada : Arrived to Paris 2 days ago. 1 lost bag. 1 broken handle. Waited and hour, then filed the report. 24 hours later no one had contacted me. Many calls, email and messages later (no response at all) I spent hours tracking my bag–— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) June 28, 2018 Mexican film director Guillermo del Toro called out Air Canada in a multi-tweet diatribe about his travel woes involving his luggage. – Refugio Ruiz / AP Photo Twitter Advertisement Facebook Login/Register With: Advertisement He tweeted that a series of inquiries to Air Canada over the next 24 hours went unanswered, later realizing that his report had been filed under the wrong email address.After enlisting the help of friends in Toronto to call the airline, del Toro says he was assured that the bag would arrive, and it did — but his troubles wouldn’t end there.I offered to go to terminal 2 and pick it up myself. No contact for the delivery company wass offered (except a wrong number) the company is called J.A.P. Transports https://t.co/AfseJgzpC1 and the only review you can find on them are 1 star reviews. I must agree…— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) June 28, 2018Del Toro claims Air Canada then handed over the bag to a French delivery service, which after further communication issues, told him to his parcel would be dropped off within a three-hour window.On the penultimate day of his stay, he waited patiently for the delivery, first by the door, then on the street where he chatted with passersby. Several selfies later, he says, still no bag.I contacted them by finding a phone in a complaint in Google. I called. They said it would arrive between 5-8 PM. On my penultimate dsay here I waited patiently, first by the door, then standing on the street for an hour (nice conversation and selfies ensued) but alas, no call…— Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) June 28, 2018Despite offering to meet his luggage at the airport terminal, del Toro says he has yet to be reunited with his belongings.It’s not about the bag — although it contains a four-volume set of short stories by Russian writer Anton Chekhov — or demanding preferential service, he insists.
Tuesday (Nov. 21) marked the nine year anniversary of Newton’s arrest, and he posted a message about it and offered encouragement for those who’ve also made huge mistakes.“I contemplated posting this and even reluctant about it, but as I think about my life and many things I’m thankful for, I want to be an open book, so people can hear my testimony and learn from the flaws and mistakes I made on this day 11/21/2008, “he wrote. “On this date I thought my life and career was over, and the fact that I had shamed my family with media coverage surrounding this situation, I vowed to myself on this day that I will be better from this situation.”In addition, Newton said no one gave him a chance to succeed after his arrest, and they doubted he could turn things around. But he refused to listen to any of that, which led him to his current position as the on-the-field leader of the Carolina Panthers and one of the NFL’s elite quarterbacks.Newton also encouraged others, who face difficult times, to keep dreaming and reaching for their goals.“If I can do it with my circumstances surely you can do it and be whatever you want to be with hard work and persistence,” he wrote. It’s possible that his post could be a direct message to young Black men, considering how unforgiving the criminal justice system is when they make a mistake that leads to an arrest.According to a 2014 study published in the journal Crime & Delinquency, nearly 50 percent of Black men are arrested by the time they turn age 23.On top of that, the Justice Department released data — published by Mother Jones — that shows Black juveniles are five times more prone than white juveniles to be sent to jail or prison.But Newton’s post could’ve also been about the recent high profile case of Meek Mill, who was sentenced to 2-4 years in prison for violating probation. Or possibly to LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill, the UCLA players who were arrested for shoplifting in China. But either way, he didn’t specify. InstagramIn 2008, when he was a student at The University of Florida, NFL star Cam Newton was arrested for stealing a fellow student’s laptop. He was eventually charged with felony counts of burglary, larceny, and obstruction of justice -because he threw the laptop out a window. Related news: Cam NewtonCam Newton Receives Backlash for Laughing at Female Reporter, Some Cry Selective OutragePanther’s PR Adviser Reportedly Responsible For Cam Newton’s Revised Stance on RaceCam Newton and Colin Kaepernick’s Face-to-Face Photo Goes Viral After Hilarious Meme Takes Off Elsewhere in his post, the Heisman Trophy winner said that he’s not ashamed of his 2008 arrest, and he celebrates turning his life around by the way he lives and plays football.“People wonder why I play the game the way I do, act the way I act, dress the way I dress and even live the way I live,” wrote Newton. “Because in some people’s eyes, I’m not supposed to be here but in my eyes, I’m not going to have any regrets with the second chance God has given me.”The 28-year-old then paraphrased one of JAY-Z’s lines from the 2011 song “N—– in Paris” to explain his celebratory way of life on and off the field. “I’m shocked too. I’m supposed to be locked up too. If you escaped what I’ve escaped, you’d be in Paris getting messed up too,” he wrote.After he posted his message, Newton’s followers praised him for his openness and called him brave. “Thank you for sharing, Cam,” one person wrote. “He made a mistake like we all have before,” wrote another.One man named David Phillips pointed to Newton’s level of resilience and his willingness to help others navigate the difficult days of youth.“Man, the ripple effects from a post like this,” he wrote. “At some point, life will throw everyone a curveball. It’s how you respond that makes the difference … Someone’s life will probably never be the same after reading it.”
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppGovernment officials are back from the Joint Ministerial Council, the Premier Hon. Rufus Ewing in a press briefing held on Provo, yesterday told journalists that the UK government has demonstrated commitment not only to building better relationships between the territories but has also been listening to the cries of the people for support for national programs and social services. The Premier charged that as a country we must make use of the offers and capitalize on opportunities for strengthening our health, education, financial and immigration systems and ensure the UK is held accountable for commitments made to us. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
KUSI Newsroom MCAS Miramar breaks ground on two military construction projects KUSI Newsroom, March 16, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsMCAS MIRAMAR (KUSI) — MCAS Miramar broke ground Friday on the F-35 hangar and apron expansion project.The groundbreaking begins the construction of the first two of nine military construction projects to support the arrival of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter to MCAS Miramar in 2020.This project will enable 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing to execute their mission with a highly advanced aircraft, which will replace the F/A-18 Hornet at MCAS Miramar. The Marine Corps will eventually transition its entire tactical air fleet to F-35, to include three legacy platforms: the AV-8B Harrier, the F/A-18 Hornet, and the EA-6B Prowler.The F-35 represents a quantum leap in air dominance capability. It combines next-generation fighter characteristics of radar-evading stealth, supersonic speed, fighter agility and advanced logistical support with the most powerful and comprehensive integrated sensor package of any fighter aircraft in history to provide unprecedented lethality and survivability. Posted: March 16, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Updated: 10:22 PM
Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Navy is considering two of its bases in Florida — Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville and Naval Air Station Key West — and NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility on Virginia’s Eastern Shore as candidates to become the East Coast home base for the next generation of surveillance unmanned aerial systems (UASs).The base would host launch and recovery operations for the still-under-development MQ-4C Triton as well as a maintenance facility, reported Delmarva Now. The base would be home to four unmanned aircraft with room for up to four more undergoing maintenance, said Ted Brown, environmental public officer for Fleet Forces Command in Norfolk.Operations would begin in 2020, Brown said. An environmental assessment of the three sites is expected to be completed in late June.“At this point, we don’t have a preferred alternative,” Brown said. “We are still doing the analysis.”The new UASs are intended to accomplish several tasks, including reconnaissance missions over ocean and coastal regions.The mission would bring 400 full-time jobs move to Virginia’s Eastern Shore, significantly boosting the local economy, said Peter Bale, president of the Wallops Island Regional Alliance. The decision could add between 1,500 and 2,000 residents to the area, including family members.“I like to refer to it as a Richter scale event,” Bale said. “It would be phenomenal,” he said.“Wallops is an ideal place to base the Navy’s new Triton aircraft, and I look forward to discussing that option with the Pentagon,” said Virginia Rep. Randy Forbes (R), chairman of the House Armed Services’ Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee.
Facebook NETWORK ERRORCannot Contact ServerRELOAD YOUR SCREEN OR TRY SELECTING A DIFFERENT VIDEO May 15, 2017 – 1:50 am ‘Hamilton’ wins Best Musical Theater Album GRAMMY-winning musical becomes sixth best-selling Broadway album of all timeRenée FabianGRAMMYs Aug 31, 2017 – 10:38 am Since opening on Broadway in 2015, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical “Hamilton” has notched some impressive feats, from winning a GRAMMY to taking home 11 Tony Awards. Now, the original Broadway soundtrack is taking this musical to new heights. Twitter “Hamilton” Spends 100 Weeks On The Charts “Hamilton” Moves Up In Broadway World hamilton-spends-100-weeks-charts News Email Billboard announced that the Hamilton: An American Musical soundtrack, currently at No. 24 on the Billboard 200, has reached 100 consecutive weeks on the chart. With 1.285 million units in total album sales, “Hamilton” has also edged out the soundtrack from 1996’s “Rent” in album sales. This means the popular historical sing-along is now the sixth best-selling original musical cast album since Nielsen Music began tracking sales in 1991.The current highest-grossing original soundtrack of all time is the London recording of “The Phantom Of The Opera” with nearly 5 million copies sold. Next in line is “Wicked” (2.7 million), followed by “Mama Mia!” (1.72 million), “Les Miserables” (1.66 million) and “Jersey Boys” (1.44 million).With its Los Angeles touring run in full swing, no doubt there’s an opportunity for “Hamilton” to gain more fans and reach even higher chart heights.”Hamilton” Pulls Into Los Angeles, Brings #EduHam To Teens
WILMINGTON, MA — Here are the obituaries published on Wilmington Apple during the week of January 27, 2019:Lived In Wilmington At Time Of Passing:Carl Guarino, 71Joseph Ientile, 80Phyllis M. Jensen, 86Kerin Jean Parker, 37Gerald F. Sullivan, 69Previously Lived In Wilmington:Gertrude E. “Pudge” Cushing, 77William R. Iovanna, 73Arnold F. Lanni, 91Eileen C. (Gregoire) Marsan, 77Worked In/Volunteered In/Connected To Wilmington:Marion E. (Kirkland) Hesketh, 95Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Thank You To Our Sponsor:Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 11, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of August 25, 2019)In “Obituaries”Wilmington OBITUARIES (Week of July 7, 2019)In “Obituaries”
Share your voice Music Online Comment Tags Taylor Swift’s Reputation tour lives forever and ever on Netflix How Taylor Swift flipped online fandom on its head for the better Some days social media is a laugh-a-minute whirlwind punctuated by puppy gifs, travel inspo and meme exchanges with your best online friends. Some days it is hell.It’s something global superstar Taylor Swift knows all too well.In an essay on turning 30 for the latest edition of Elle magazine, Swift opens up about how she copes with the massive amount of noise directed at her through social media platforms, and specifically how she deals with negative comments and trolls. Taylor Swift 1 It’s unlikely that any regular human being gets anything like the influx of notifications or comments that celebrities deal with. But as Swift explains, minimizing this is more than just about keeping the constant pinging to a minimum.”Social media can be great, but it can also inundate your brain with images of what you aren’t, how you’re failing, or who is in a cooler locale than you at any given moment,” she said in the essay.”One thing I do to lessen this weird insecurity laser beam is to turn off comments. Yes, I keep comments off on my posts. That way, I’m showing my friends and fans updates on my life, but I’m training my brain to not need the validation of someone telling me I look.”The question of how much of our ego and self-worth is tied up in validation from social media is relatable no matter how many, or how few followers, you might have. Whether you turn off comments and notifications or delete apps altogether for a while, everyone has their own way of getting a handle on those negative feelings — Swift included. “I think it’s healthy for your self-esteem to need less internet praise to appease it, especially when three comments down you could unwittingly see someone telling you that you look like a weasel that got hit by a truck and stitched back together by a drunk taxidermist. An actual comment I received once,” she said.For Swift, a successful woman, abuse and negativity are sad and still unavoidable side effects of putting herself out there. Keeping comments turned off is one way to block out “anyone who might feel the need to tell me to ‘go die in a hole ho’ while I’m having my coffee at nine in the morning,” she said.Swift is in the top 10 most-followed people across multiple platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. But for the reasons she herself has stated, it’s rare to see her engage with people directly through any of these services. Instead she tends to hang out on Tumblr, where she follows many of her fans. She often likes and sometimes comments on or reblogs their posts.But there have been times when Swift has disappeared from the internet altogether. In her essay, she described what it feels like when it feels like the internet turns completely against you.”A few years ago, someone started an online hate campaign by calling me a snake on the internet,” she said. “The fact that so many people jumped on board with it led me to feeling lower than I’ve ever felt in my life, but I can’t tell you how hard I had to keep from laughing every time my 63-foot inflatable cobra named Karyn appeared onstage in front of 60,000 screaming fans.”Unlike the other measures suggested by Swift, this might not be a practical solution for everyone dealing with internet bullying. But the point is to take a stand and make a statement in a way that allows you to laugh rather than feel bad about yourself.”It’s the Stadium Tour equivalent of responding to a troll’s hateful Instagram comment with ‘lol,'” she said. Related stories